Primor Business & Consulting services
ISI mark is the certification for industrial products in India. ISI mark certifies that the product confirms to the Indian Standard, mentioned as IS:xxxxx on top of the mark, developed by the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS), the national standards bodyof India. The ISI mark is by far the most recognized certification mark in India. The name ISI is an abbreviation of Indian Standards Institute, the former name of the Bureau of Indian Standards.
There are list of items which are required to be certified by BIS mandatorily for the reason of public health, safety or mass nature of consumption. These include gas valves, cylinders and infant food and many of the electrical appliances, switches, electric motors, wiring cables, heaters, kitchen appliances, cement, automotive tires etc. Manufacturers of such products can't apply for ISI mark under the voluntary scheme. ISI mark certification is voluntary for product not covered under the list.
The prescribed format of ISI mark contains the logo and the code number of the standard specification preceded with the letters IS (Indian Standard).
ISI is mandatory for about 90 products, below are few examples.
- IS 366 for electric iron.
- IS 2347 for pressure cooker
- IS 4246 for domestic L P G stove
- IS 10913 for passenger car tires
- IS 11536 for processed cereal based foods for infants
- IS 12269 for ordinary Portland cement, 53 grade.
- Harmonization with international standards
- New and emerging technological areas
- Environmental concerns and other national priorities, regulatory requirements and consumer needs.
- Increased value of the product
- ISI mark allows to manufacturer in foreign countries to access Indian markets, with a third party guarantee to end consumer.
- BIS gives assurance to the quality, safety and reliability of the product.